The average bearded dragon life span is around 7 – 10 years though this can vary depending on a few factors.
Bearded dragons that live in wild tend to have much shorter life spans of around 3 – 5 years due to a number of factors such as predators, freak weather occurrences, lack of water and food and of course disease and parasites.
Captive bearded dragons on the other hand tend to have much longer life spans with some breeds even reaching the age of 12. It’s also been known on the odd occasion for a beaded dragon that’s held in captivity to even even living up to 15 years old or even older if they have been looked after cared for properly throughout their life.
The very best way to ensure that your bearded dragon goes on to live a long and happy life is to make sure that you are well informed by researching all of their needs and requirements so that you are able to look after them as best as you can.
It’s important that you understand their diet well along with what foods they should and shouldn’t be eating. Ideally your dragon should have a combination of animals and plant materials in their diet with animals making up about 75% of it and plants accounting for the other 25%. You want to also make sure that you are feeding your bearded dragon appropriate foods and amounts for their age.
By making sure your bearded dragon is easting the right food and in the right amounts you will ensure that your bearded dragon stays healthy and will help it to live much longer.
Another way that you can ensure that your dragon goes on to live a long time is to stay informed of the diseases and disorders that can affect your bearded dragon and to keep an eye out for their symptoms so that they can be treated as soon as they are a noticed.
These include things like impaction, hypovitaminosis A, respiratory infections, mites, terminal ingestion, internal or other parasites, stomatitis, dehydration, metabolic bone disease, thermal burns and skin problems.
Remember your bearded dragon isn’t able to make loud audible groan or cry for help the way that a cat or dog can when it is in pain so it’s crucial that you learn to pay close attention to the way they are acting so that you can pick on it if it gets sick. If your bearded dragon suddenly begins to act totally different to how it normally behaves then perhaps it’s time for trip to the vet.
Be sure to also pay close attention to their eating habits to make sure that their bowl movements are normal and also keep an eye on the amount of urine the gets excreted as anything unusual could be a sign of kidney problems.